Goldilocks: Arduino Compatible with ATmega1284P MCU
Have you run out of RAM in your project, and find the Uno just doesn't quite cut it? But the much more powerful ARM-based Arduinos such as the Due are too big, and don't work with your 5V Arduino shields?
Goldilocks is the answer: an Arduino-compatible board designed to be not too big, and not too small. It's just right.
The ATmega1284p MCU is significantly more powerful than the ATmega328p and ATmega32u4 found in common 8-bit Arduino boards. With more memory and a higher clock speed than standard Arduino boards this may be just what you need to get your project done.
|Freetronics Goldilocks||Arduino Uno||Arduino Leonardo|
- 5V operation compatible with the widest possible range of shields
- ATmega1284P primary MCU
- ATmega32u2 secondary MCU for USB-serial conversion
- Isolation cuts so you can reconfigure every I/O pin individually
- Prototyping area to add your own parts
- Breakouts in top right outside shield footprint to add vertical modules etc
- Optional SPI cross-links between primary and secondary MCUs for advanced features such as running the secondary MCU as a dedicated onboard programmer for uploading directly without using the Arduino bootloader
- TX/RX isolation cuts so you can run the primary and secondary MCUs independently as if it was 2 Arduinos on one PCB
- Breakouts for ATmega32u2 I/O so you can have it interact with other devices independently of the primary MCU
- Dual hardware serial ports on primary MCU. The second serial port has been placed on pins D2/D3 to make it drop-in compatible with the Arduino WiFi shield. No more software serial required!
- 7-28V input voltage range switchmode power supply with up to 2A output for high-current shields such as GSM shields
- JTAG breakout for primary MCU for advanced debugging
- I2C breakouts near prototyping area
- Optional I2C cross-links between the R3 position and A4/A5, allowing you to decide if you want I2C on the A4/A5 headers for compatibility with R2 shields or want it separate so you can use A4/A5 as independent pins while still using I2C on the R3 headers
- Independent reset buttons for the primary and secondary MCUs
- Onboard 32.768kHz crystal for ATmega1284P internal RTC feature
- LEDs placed on extended tab for visibility when a shield is placed on top
- MicroSD card slot for convenient data storage
- 4-layer PCB with dedicated GND and power planes plus optimally placed decoupling capacitors near primary MCU for maximum noise immunity and ADC accuracy
- Gold plated PCB for maximum durability
- Supplied with USB cable
- Goldilocks Quickstart Guide
- Phillip Stevens' Goldilocks User Manual
- Discuss Goldilocks in the Freetronics Forum
- Board profile download for Arduino IDE (standard 20MHz)
- Board profile download for Arduino IDE (overclocked 22.1184MHz)
- Design files
- GOLDILOCKS (1)